First I traced out the outline for the bodice while the shirt was on my daughter. As you can see below I created a halter style dress. Also if you look closely you can see the big black dot that was created when Bean wanted to draw on the shirt just like Mommy did! Mental note next time use one of those washable fabric markers versus a permanent sharpie marker ... Eeeek!!
I cut along the lines I had just drawn and below the collar stand. Across the back I cut about an 1 1/4" above where I had determined her waistline to be; at this point I cut off the bottom of the front "skirt" section. I turned under the edge along the front bodice and hem to clean finish the top. To finish the back I created a 1" casing which I later inserted elastic to help keep the back snug. I gathered the top of the front skirt and then set that section to the front bodice. I felt like it still needed something to make it a bit more girly so I added a green satin ribbon at the waist to finish it off.
I am so happy with how this turned out. Now if only Mother Nature would cooperate long enough for me to let her wear her new dress; after all it did snow in PA on April 1st!
This post was shared at the following linky parties;